Another year gone by, another year of life lived. Whether I accomplished anything at all in 2008 is yet to be concluded, as I feel I'll realize the answer once more time has passed. I can say that I finally grew up...a little.
I'd like to sweat off of Justin's style and recap my year month by month, but unfortch I don't have the memory to do so. I will however, highlight what I do remember, which is probably the most important things anyway.
-Last year's NYE was good. Not excellent but the mission was to get wasted before ,[I paused here to answer a phone call, re-read the line and realized how shallow and immature that line sounds], ...midnight and mission accomplished. I went to a party in college park, ended up spending the night in a hotel room with a random dude, of course, my friends were there and he was straight, and had to have my mother pick me up in the morning.
-I had a couple of lame dates between January & March, but sometime mid-March I started dating Vinny officially. I really wasn't into Emo-wannabes but he had the prettiest blue eyes I had ever seen. I remember our first date and how he wore shorts while it was still cold outside. Turns out Vinny was a prude [no hard feelings there] and I was "moving too fast" so he broke up with me. Dude was cute, and I just wanted a lil piece of him!! Blame a guy for trying. Of course the break up was lame and over the internet which is why I think he's lame.
-I got closer to a couple co-workers from Marimekko. In doing so, i may have turned a confused 17 year old boy gay by introducing him to one of my predatory friends and had that same friend turn his charm on to one of my straight girl friends. Awkward. It made for good work-gossip though. Some friends came back from college in the summer and eventually the whole staff changed. Some people were fired wrongfully. I was promoted to Inventory Specialist which I figured was a made up position to keep me busy but I was getting paid more so no complaints there.
-I started smoking up a lot more, and it got to the point where I started going to work blazed. I was able to function normally and it made working at the dreadful place that much more bearable. No one ever noticed, so I kept doing it. This fed my addiction to Potbelly.
-In April, right around the time that Vinny broke up with me, I met Travis. Went on a couple dates, and after a trip to a bed and breakfast in bumpkin town...we started officially dating. Turns out he's one of the greatest things that's ever happened to me.
-Summer rolled around, and for some reason I expected summer 08 to be on par with summer 07. It wasn't. I rarely saw my buddies because of this or that reasons and the girl I share my bday had other plans. Travis threw a bangin' party for some friends at his place and the turn out was good. Traveled to Costa Rica for the first time and managed to get my foot lacereated by pointy rocks in the ocean. At the end of August, I quit working at Marimekko in hopes to work for a school in Howard County, moved in with Travis and began attending HCC.
-With the move, came a new phase of the relationship between my mother and I. My father unofficially said goodbye to me by not talking to me for months, leaving my mother to become the go-between. I had no idea how to approach my mother now that I was "the gay son who moved out to live with boyfriend". We were walking on eggshells around each other until Thanksgiving the official blowout happened when she said I could come but Travis wasn't welcomed. It ended up becoming an ugly situation between all parties involved.
-Halloween time I was reunited with 4 friends for a fraction of a second...ended up taking care of one them most of the night and the fact that billions of people were in Dupont Circle at the same time didn't make the situation any easier. Another friend lost his cell phone which meant we were incommunicado for several weeks. Also in October, after weeks of non-working and having drained the last bit of my savings, I was able to score a job at Grassroots Crisis Intervention. Good job, eh...pay. Later that "eh...pay" turned into better pay.
-November.....what can I say about November?!?? Other than November gave us a black president, a Thanksgiving that I would've preferred to have been drunk or stoned for, and Travis & I had to really examine the validity of our relationship for the first time. From that experience, I can honestly say I shed the immature, selfish, penis-driven former self and realized the harm I had caused without any regard to the other person. For Travis, I am thankful.
-After Fucksgiving, the whole holiday spiel began on tv, blogs, radio, everything. I almost threw up and I was over the holidays before it began.
-Then NYE happened again and I was glad to have been with my blogging buddy and boyfriend. Living in the suburbs has made it really difficult to keep on the lives of my friends who all live near the city. A chance of moving even farther would make our seperation even greater, but then I look back and remember that a lot of times, if I don't make the effort we'll never get in touch. I've been semi-depressed because of my fair-weather friendships and I ponder the validity that I once held on to so strongly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment