Monday, November 16, 2009

Not my younger brother anymore

Friday or Saturday, my younger brother who is 16, had this random AIM away message. "I hate pride, it keeps making me do stupid things" or something close to that. I was confounded. It seemed like something I would write or blog or facebook status. He is also a senior in high-school and is applying for colleges now. Its making me realize that things have changed. He's growing, maturing, he's not little carlton anymore. He's taller than me, but still I never realized that he is truly growing up. Being away from home for most of the past 11 years, I've missed out on a lot and haven't really been able to see either of my younger brothers grow. One of my goals and renewed priorities is to be a better family member. And now, with the holidays coming up, I'm thinking I should work on that more. Maybe we'll have an actual "grown-up" conversation or at least, I'll remind him that I'm there for him. I need to view and treat him as an equal, and remember that he is just like me.

Sometimes being a brother is even better than being a superhero. ~ Marc Brown

I don't believe an accident of birth makes people sisters or brothers. It makes them siblings, gives them mutuality of parentage. Sisterhood and brotherhood is a condition people have to work at. ~ Maya Angelou

No comments: